Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Smashing Pumpkins, pt. 1



I was pretty ridiculously obsessed with The Smashing Pumpkins during my mid-teens.  There's no way I can encapsulate this obsession in a single entry, so I've resigned myself to writing snippets as the inspiration comes.  

This isn't even so much a Smashing Pumpkins post as a news item.  I found this website that offers full recordings of a ton of Pumpkins concerts from 1988 onward.  

I'm especially enjoying the ones from around 1992, when they were still in Gish mode but had starting writing some material for Siamese Dream.  I like the jammy fuzz rock, the My Bloody Valentine-esque shoegaze distortion madness.  

I'm sitting in my friend's apartment listening to their 1992 concert in Den Haag and playing Mortal Kombat.  Only slap bracelets would make this a more 90s evening.  

No comments: