Saturday, March 28, 2009

Sloan and Afternoon Delight


Contributed by Dave Lemay

Full disclosure: I think I still like these guys, which should normally disqualify my entry. But I get slightly ashamed and nauseous as the associated memories spew forth, which seems warrant enough to pursue this confession.

And with no small amount of self-gratification I retraced my love affair with Sloan, those bastions of classic rock hailing from Toronto, Canada: those shameless cataloguers of the original British invasion; those inveterate peddlers of rock and roll nostalgia.

It may come as no surprise that such hard-working respectable Atlantic boys would still be plucking away some twenty years later - and indeed they have been recording and touring consistently right into middle-age. While they seem to be holding up rather well (Chris Murphy still looks and acts like a kid with his mopish hair and his too-big wire-frame glasses) it is not always the case about their music. To their merit they have released 10 albums throughout this period, from Smeared (1992), up to Parallel Play (2008) last June. Though my steadfast devotion ended about 1998 with the release of Navy Blues and Sloan's progression into classic rock, it is fair to say that their prodigious output has always been tempered by an uneven quality. While their musicality is undeniable, many songs fail to stand-out and sometimes sound like an uninspired study in rock-abilia while others seem too contrived to bare any real scrutiny.

Take for example the following lines from "I can feel it" off the album Twice Removed (1994) —  what was for a time my favorite Sloan song but now seems unbearably saccharine and indulgent.



You could tell a million lies

And I'd think they all were true
Trust

That's my trust in you

...or plainly pubescent:

No strings attached

No copy to match

No drift to catch
No plans to hatch
No itch to scratch
Just infatuation
Is all you need

...and just downright questionable value for our ardent youth:

But you've got a thing for me

I can feel it, I can feel it

And I've got a thing for you, too
You can have it, you can have it

Certainly infatuation is not all you need. Venereal disease stalks the brash and heedless and that's something that 'you can have' that can't easily be gotten rid of.

As with every itched scratched, there is the requisite self-loathing and plainly I am not exempt.

As I write this, I am painfully aware that I am not only ridiculing something that I once identified with, but I am also intruding on some very fond moments that I shared with friends: the first mix tape that I ever received, that included "I can feel it"; an aimless weeknight in the back of a Toyota Tercel listening to One Chord to Another (1996) and debating its relative merits to Twice Removed — still my personal favorite, sorry Rob. 

Have I become an asshole? Maybe. Probably — I don't think I was born that way. 

I am in fact one of those people that never really listen to lyrics — to the amusement and consternation of my wife and friends. I only hear the musicality of the song, which makes it really hard to sing along and really easy to mess up words. 

It also leads to the sometimes embarrassing re-interpretation of a song's meaning, not unlike the moment in Arrested Development when Maeby and Michael sing a duet to "Afternoon Delight" by the Starland Vocal Band only to discover its suggestive meaning half-way through the song — or in my case, 15 years later.

I am sufficiently sentimental, I think, that melody is all I need to hear. And besides, I still think Twice Removed is an awesome album. 

8 comments:

Michael said...

Dave, Twice Removed is most definitely an excellent album, although unfortunately one very locked into its moment in time. However, 'Deeper Than Beauty' is a brilliantly cute-awkward song that is a guaranteed hit on that mixtape for a cute-awkward crush.

Unknown said...

Dave! Sloan are from Halifax!
There's no embarrassment about still liking them. I was listening to 'Between the Bridges' this morning - it hasn't aged at all. Solid, listenable, dependable Sloan.

That moment in 'Deeper than Beauty' where you can hear one of the band laughing? Perfect. Michael's right - if I was given a mixtape with that song on it I would swoon.

Jim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jim said...

Sloan was my favorite band from ages 13 to 15 -- I must have listened to "Deeper than Beauty" a thousand times, lying on my bedroom floor a headphone cord's length from my tape player -- and I still think Twice Removed, One Chord to Another, and Navy Blues are classics. Between the Bridges is pretty great, too, though there's a real feeling of deck clearing and catalogue building there. (The Ferguson songs on it are top-notch, though, and it's probaly the Sloan record with the best b-sides.)

Everything after that is no good. Not bad, just not good enough that you would ever listen to one of those records instead of an earlier one. You have it, and then...

Jim said...

Oh, their other, neglected classic record: Recorded Live at a Sloan Party!

"...Patrick, stay in tune..."

Greg said...

By the way, if anyone can find a video of that scene from Arrested Development, please let me know.

David J. Lemay said...

@Tara: Thank you for the clarification.

@Greg: Thanks for this support group.

I feel better now. *phew*

Anonymous said...

Amiable dispatch and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you for your information.